Public health is, “the science and art of preventing disease, prolonging life, and promoting health through organized efforts and informed choices of society, organizations, public and private, communities, and individuals (1920, C.E.A. Winslow).”
Specifically, public health seeks to:
- Prevent epidemics and the spread of disease;
- Protect against environmental hazards;
- Prevent injuries;
- Promote and encourage healthy behaviors and mental health;
- Respond to disasters and assist communities in recovery; and
- Assure the quality and accessibility of health services.
The practice of public health is defined by the 10 Essential Services of Public Health.
Click here to learn how Public Health affects your life.